Saturday, December 19, 2009

Thank you Nationalist Folks!



Well, today I was thinking that I would shut down this blog for good because I was unable to write for a long time. Call it a mind-block or whatever, ideas refused to come inside my mind. But thanks to some nationalist folks, I am back on track!

Well this is what happened. As you all must be knowing, Facebook has become a medium to voice your opinion (no matter how obscene or stupid it is, people would still click "Like" to any dumb stuff). Be it through status updates or using the notes section. (I prefer the status updates, people who write "notes" on facebook go Nuts! They dont stop! You dont trust me...hmmm...then check this out :
http://www.facebook.com/#/notes/pervez-musharraf/answering-your-top-3-questions/203110039338

(This guy will never stop)


So, today late in the afternoon, I saw a friend who is die-hard fan of Zardari posting out status updates about CJ being biased, "Urdu Media" trying to divide the country and that Zardari has been targeted because he is a Sindhi. And I was like "WT.....?"

There on, my mind started to work. I started to think that for so many days Balochis and Sindhis have been crying on media that they have been neglected and people from other nations have brought misery for them. Some Baloch leaders ask for a seperate state while the Sindhis are making "topi days" and some of them are saying that if Courts and Media dont stop targetting Zardari, then history of 1971 would repeat itself.

I was like "hmmmm....i know this is all wrong, but I have to prove it".

So I did this little research :-

List of The Presidents of Pakistan

Iskander Mirza : Born in Bengal
Ayub Khan : Born in NWFP (Non Pushto speaking Pushtoon)... See More
Yahya Khan : Pathan (Born in Chakwal)
Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto : Sindhi
Fazal Ilahi Chaudary : Punjabi (was just a figurehead after the implementation of 73 constitution)
General Zia : Born in Jalandhar, British India (Okay, you can call him a Punjabi)
Ghulam Ishaq Khan : Pathan
Farooq Leghari : Baloch (born in Punjab)
Rafiq Tarar : Punjabi
Pervez Musharraf : Born in India (Delhi)
Asif Ali Zardari : Sindhi Balochi

So my stats say:
Sindhis had 2 Presidents
NWFP had 3 Presidents
Baloch had 1 President
Punjabis had 3
Bengalis had 1

List of the Prime Ministers of Pakistan

Liaqat Ali Khan : Punjabi
Khawaja Nazimuddin : Bengali
Mohd Ali Bogra : Bengali
Chaudary Muhammad Ali : Punjabi
Hussain Shaheed Suhrwardy : Bengali
Ibrahim Ismaeil Chundrigar : Urdu Speaking
Feroz Khan Noon : Punjabi
Nurul Amin : Bengali
Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto : Sindhi
Muhammad Khan Junejo : Sindhi
Benazir Bhutto : Sindhi
Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi : Sindhi
Nawaz Sharif : Punjabi
Zafrullah Khan Jamali : Balochi
Chaudary Shujaat Hussain : Punjabi
Shaukat Aziz : Karachi (I guess Urdu speaking)
Yousuf Raza Gillani : Punjabi

Sindh and Urdu Speaking were 5
Punjabis had 5
NWFP had none
Balochis had 1
Bengalis had 3

My study concluded that in total, Punjabis had 8 leaders who reached the highest offices, Sindhis & Urdu Speaking 7, Pashtoons 3, Baloch 2, and Bengalis 4!


So, it proved one thing that almost everyone got a good shot at the highest offices. Look at the Bengalis they had four leaders on the top, still they left us because Mr. Bhutto did not want a Bengali leading him.


"Hey Bengali brothers, come back to us we will sandwich India...hahahaha...what do you guys say?"


"Hmm....dint even hear a single word...anyways enjoy and Happy Independence from Us!"


Well, the crux of the story is that Nationalism is a good thing if it remains in its limits i.e. we just start calling ourselves Pakistanis. That's all we need to do.Period.


If it goes out of bounds, then you will hear opinions like those of my Sindhi friend and Baloch seperatist leaders and in a worse case scenario incidents like "The creation of Bangladesh" would take place.


So, I think I am very good at giving advice for free. So, the solution I see to stop seperatist feelings is that we all should stop saying that "I am Sindhi/Punjabi/Pathani/Balochi/Khochi/Naughty". Find the common ground which unites us (I suggest Islam can be a common ground as we all are muslims - No, I am not a Moulvi..dont believe I am one cause I have a beard!) and stay united!


Well, I know some will find the material I have typed offensive. Sorry dudes, but this is what reality is. It bites.


7 comments:

  1. Basit, I agree with the sentiment you have expressed but not the solution :)

    Yes, we should all stay united, but that doesn't mean we need to give up our regional identities. Instead of the US 'melting point' solution to diversity (We're all Americans and nothing else), I prefer the Canadian 'mosaic' model. Diversity should be celebrated, but that doesn't mean we cannot all be proud Pakistanis too.

    In this day and age, people have multiple identities and we can't get rid of them. If we do try to suppress a particular identity, we just become confused and wannabes. I'm a woman, Muslim, Pakistani, pathan, feminist and much more. I can't give up any of those identities without feeling like I've killed a part of myself.

    What people need to do at the social level is learn to respect each other and celebrate diversity. At the political and legal level, all ethnicities and religions need to be given their due rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree wid tamreez tht yes a lot of different aspects make up a person's identity...and i just wanna add....2 words: RESPEECT AND TOLERANCE...if i understand tht a person can have different views,opinions tht i may not agree wid...and if i have the courage to tolerate tht,i guess i am allowing for a better chance for unity....atleast i am listening! unfortunately, people dnt listen to each other anymore and just stick to their facts( mein hi sahi hoon!) not for once trying to give room to the fact tht they can be wrong...we need to open up our minds and not just defend our belief blindly...discuss not defend...the beauty of acquiring knowledge frm each other is wasted when we become too defensive of wht we believe in...we need to understand tht humanity is the first common link between all of us...

    Having said all tht, however , i feel tht these r real trial times for all of us...the youth of Pakistan today is a confused one...we r tryin to adopt all western culture...and not knwin wht to do of our eastern traditions...we need to realise our priorities...if we think tht diversity is acceptable...then atleast first start definin urself...unfortunately ppl dnt knw who they r they'll just lead their lyf neway they want to but as confused souls...just a simple fact of bein a pakistani doesnt make them proud nemore...its sad...yes i am a punjabi...bt hw do i define myself?...wht is my identity in this world...i am a muslim first...then a pakistani and there r many more ways i can define me..another person can define himself in ne sequence in neway...but atleast define urselves!!..dnt just blindly believe and follow..

    so i believe we shud enjoy the diversity we find around us bt be v clear of who we r and wht is most important..Pakistan is a very colorful country...and we need to realise tht being a pakistani links us all together...it is the common ground like humanity is...and thts beutiful..tht is the solution to all our differnces and arguments...and we have to protect it...

    I do tend to get very carried away when i express..this is wht i am tryin to say: we understand each other first as humans and then as nethin else...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is not a clarification of what I expressed above in my post.

    But, I believe Nationalism is a really good thing. I am certainly not against it!

    But, when it comes to a point when one nation thinks its better than the other, that is where problems starts to arise.

    I believe in living simple, too much of anything makes life and things complicated for me.

    And the solution I suggested is for those who think they are better than the others.

    "We all are same, We all are one"

    That's what I would like to hear from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pakistan-warriorabdulbasit.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

    Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
    I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

    You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
    If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
    Wish you a happing using.

    many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for paying the hosting and developement of the theme

    ZormVodohohit

    ReplyDelete
  6. pharmacy salary tech buy tramadol nowfind imitrex pharmacy online

    [url=http://www.bebo.com/buylevitraonline1]buy dreampharmaceuticals from levitra online[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy,

    When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]pakistan-warriorabdulbasit.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Research indicates that closely 50% of all U.S. adults are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

    About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

    ReplyDelete